Pine Ridge, N.C. — Pine Ridge condominium owners will close in 2019, the city said Wednesday.
Mayor Greg Ballard said Pine Ridge had been the target of more than a dozen proposed or ongoing development proposals and was considering the possibility of consolidating existing units into a single unit.
In a statement, Ballard said, “We will close our condominium buildings as part of our effort to ensure the preservation of our communities.”
The city announced the closing of 11 units in a Pine Ridge Village development in December 2019.
The buildings were built between 1926 and 1940 and had more than 5,000 square feet of space, the Associated Press reported at the time.
Pine Ridge Mayor Mark Fuhrman said the development had been a “challenge to manage and keep open” for more than 30 years and had a high risk of fire and theft.
The city has also had to consider the possibility that the buildings might become unsafe for residents, according to a news release from Ballard’s office.
The decision to close the units is based on “economic and structural challenges” and “continues the city’s commitment to a more diverse, equitable and prosperous community,” Ballard said in a statement.